SIMPLE GIFTS FARM STORE MANAGER
The Farm Store Manager will oversee all daily operations of the Simple Gifts Farm store and will work to ensure smooth and timely completion of duties, communication with other segments of the farm operation, and to foster a friendly, professional, collaborative and harmonious work environment at the store. The successful applicant will also bring some entrepreneurial drive to the position and will be actively involved in improving the sales and profitability of the store. This position is a full-time, year-round management position that will include some weekend duties.
Specific Responsibilities of Farm Store Manager
- Maintain beautiful and bountiful produce display
- Collaborate with Harvest Manager and other Farm staff to keep inventory of produce from Simple Gifts and other farms well-stocked in farm store walk-in cooler and on display
- Proactively manage produce display in store to highlight seasonal specials and maximize produce quality and sales
- Supervise farm store staff to achieve above results
- Maintain Inventory and POS system
- Manage data entry to ensure accurate record-keeping and projections
- Order products for farm store as needed to optimize sales, maintain abundant display and minimize spoilage
- Source new products for sale in the store
- Collaborate with Farmer, Harvest Manager, and other farm staff to continually improve inventory, POS, and record-keeping systems
- Manage farm store staff
- Schedule and supervise farm store staff
- Train farm store staff in operation of POS system, display management, and all other tasks as needed
- Participate in hiring of new farm store staff as needed
- Foster collaborative, friendly, and productive work environment
- Manage physical appearance of store environment
- Maintain upkeep of perennial flower and herb landscaping around farm store
- Monitor PYO gardens and communicate with CSA members and other customers about PYO crop availability and location
- Build and maintain seasonal displays including signage, decorations, and merchandising (bedding plants in spring, pumpkins/squash in fall, etc.)
- Collaborate with other farm staff to accomplish the above duties
- Manage promotion of store
- Regularly update farm’s social media account
- Regularly generate special sales and other promotions for stand
- Collaborate with other farm staff to solicit content for social media and newsletter
- Collaborate with farm management and graphic designer to generate and manage print, radio, social media, and other advertising
- Help to create a welcoming environment for customers
- Bring an entrepreneurial attitude towards increasing sales and margins in the store.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience, and future increases will be tied to the performance of the store. This job has the potential to be remunerative to an employee who actively works to bring the store to a high level of performance.
Please apply by sending a cover letter that explains your interest in the position and what you would bring to our team, along with a resume and at least three work references, to Jeremy Barker Plotkin at email@example.com
AS OF MAY 1, 2020, WE ARE NOT CURRENTLY HIRING FOR FIELD CREW POSITIONS FOR THE 2020 SEASON. THE INFORMATION ON OUR FIELD CREW POSITIONS IS ONLY POSTED FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES FOR THOSE WHO MIGHT CONSIDER WORKING FOR US IN THE 2021.
SIMPLE GIFTS FARM FIELD CREW POSITION
Simple Gifts Farm is a small, diverse market farm located in Western Massachusetts. We run a 250-member CSA program and were 18-year members of the Amherst Farmer’s Market. In 2017, we opened a full-service farmstand on-site to converge our CSA and retail marketing efforts. While vegetables are our main crop, we integrate pasture managed with livestock into our production system to build soil fertility and to produce meat and eggs.
We lease a total of 30 acres from North Amherst Community Farm (NACF), a nonprofit formed by a coalition of passionate farm neighbors who own the land and have preserved it in perpetuity for farming. NACF selected us as farm tenants to ensure that the land remains an organic farm, a wildlife corridor, and a place for local residents to enjoy nature and walking trails. We run the farm as an ecological unit, working to improve the health of micro and macro-organisms alike, and connecting our CSA members and neighbors with their local food supply. While we no longer offer a formal apprentice program, we provide many opportunities for learning on the crew, and value employees with a strong sense of curiosity and who are willing to take on responsibilities on the crew.
We devote 10 of our acres to vegetable production, 5 to forage crops, and the rest to more permanent pasture. Much of our vegetable production is mechanized, though most of the harvesting occurs by hand. We have four season-extension hoophouses and four greenhouses heated by woodchips, a renewable energy source, which allow us to provide a winter CSA share and to keep our farm store open year-round.
We are seeking up to four motivated, task-oriented, dedicated and fun individuals to work at Simple Gifts Farm for the 2020 season (March 1 – Thanksgiving). Candidates with a year of farm or other outdoor work experience are given strong preference. All applicants must be able to demonstrate a passionate interest in farming and agriculture. Our employment positions are physically and mentally demanding, but also provide the opportunities for long-term employment and farm management training to those who are motivated, task-oriented, and capable. Strong employees are highly encouraged to continue through the winter and on for a second season.
The work week consists of approximately 40 hours, with 8-hour weekdays, and rotating weekend chore duties, particularly for those living on-site. We start work as early as 6AM, especially during the heat of the summer. Work outside of normal work hours will be required for some projects, weekend greenhouse and livestock chores, and staffing the farmstand.
Housing is potentially available onsite in an historic farmhouse. Our farm is located in Amherst, MA, within walking distance from conservation land, a swimming pond, restaurants and other businesses. Downtown Amherst is an easy bike or bus ride away and hosts a plethora of cultural activities. Crew members will be responsible for whatever food they need in addition to free vegetables produced at the farm. Farm meat and eggs are available at a reduced price, along with numerous local food products we stock in our farm store.
Hourly rate starts at $12/hour, with the possibility of raises as people add skills and responsibilities to their tool belt. Worker’s compensation is provided; health insurance is available through the Massachusetts state program. A higher wage is negotiable for applicants with more than one full season’s prior farm experience.
We encourage a collaborative work environment, and like to have people who are able to work effectively in a team and to balance taking initiative and responsibility with the following instructions and the need to work in a coordinated fashion. We also value training people to take ownership of individual tasks, and find that those who thrive here are those who are able to effectively take responsibility for aspects of the farm. Learning and leadership opportunities are assigned to those who demonstrate an ability to excel at higher levels of responsibility.
Positions will be filled on a rolling basis. Please send a resume, list of three work references, and a cover letter with your top three concentration areas, in order of preference. We will contact candidates by phone or email to arrange an interview. Farm visits and working interviews are strongly recommended.