This week, I took the plunge and made some chicken wings with buffalo sauce from scratch. The results were fantastic. I learned a great trick from the internet: coat the wings in baking powder (along with some other spices) before baking them, and this allows them to reach maximum crispiness. I also made a buffalo-style sauce from scratch, which was fresh and flavorful.
This Super Bowl Sunday, try a new spin on an old classic and make your own wings!
A great side to go with these is some simple baked potato wedges. Simply cut a few Yukon Gold potatoes into quarters, drizzle generously with olive oil, salt and pepper, and let bake at 450°F for 50 minutes (as long as the wings take to cook.)
Step 1. Make the BUFFALO SAUCE, with the following:
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar (apple cider or white wine vinegar work as well)
- 1 Tbs Kitchen Garden smoked chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Kitchen garden smoked paprika
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 tbs cornstarch
- 2 tsp canola oil
Add all ingredients to a pot, whisk until well combined. Cook over medium-high heat until just starting to bubble and thicken. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Thin with water or vinegar, if desired.
Step 2: Prep and bake the CHICKEN WINGS:
- 4 pounds Reed Farm chicken wings
- 1 tablespoon aluminum free baking powder (NOT baking soda)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Pinch of cracked pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and preheat oven to 450°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and set a heat-proof wire rack inside.
- Pat dry chicken wings liberally with paper towels, squeezing out as much moisture as you can. Transfer them to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the baking powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper together, whisking well to combine, and sprinkle the mixture over the wings. Toss wings through the baking powder mixture until evenly coated.
- Arrange on rack, leaving about 1-inch of space between each wing.
- Bake for 30 minutes; flip and continue to cook until crisp and golden brown, (about 20-30 minutes longer), until golden browned and crispy.
- Once wings are done, remove from oven and toss wings through the sauce to evenly coat.
- Serve wings immediately with Appalachian Naturals Creamy Blue Cheese dressing or Buttermilk Ranch dressing, and celery, and Simple Gifts Farm carrot sticks